History of the Golden Gate Area Council


Camp Contra Costa (1929-1946) - Facts and Figures

Camp Name:

Name Pronunciation:

Name Origination:

Council Affiliation 1:

Council Affiliation 2:



Location Coordinates:


First Year:

Final Year:

Years Active:







Contra Costa 

kaan truh kaa stuh

Name of BSA Council and California County

Contra Costa Council #24 (1922-1932)

Berkeley Contra Costa Council #23 (1932-1952)

Owned (Purchased by Contra Costa Legion Posts for Scouts)

Long Barn, CA

38.074064, -120.150015  (click on coordinates for Camp Location)





Leased to Alameda Girl Scouts (1947-1948), then sold to Alameda Girl Scouts

About 25 acres

4600 feet

24675 Long Barn Sugar Pine Road, Long Barn, CA


Parcel 1 – 21.8 Acres, parcel 2 – 4.5 acres (parcels 031-010-19 & 028-190-04)

Camp Contra Costa - History

Camp Contra Costa was located in the town of Long Barn, 17 miles east of Sonora and was a Scout camp of the Contra-Costa and Berkeley Councils from 1929 until 1946.  The Camp was then sold to the Girl Scouts for use as Camp Cedarbrook (1946-1970) and then leased to the Alameda Boy Scout Council from 1972-1999).  The property was ultimately sold in 2004 by the Alameda Boy Scout Foundation.

Camp Contra Costa was the first permanent summer camp of the Contra Costa Council and replaced Camp Diablo which was a semi-permanent summer camp that was located on the northern foothills of Mt. Diablo.

The first summer camp session for Camp Contra Costa was held from June 8th until June 22, 1929 and was attended by 90 scouts and 12 leaders.  Due to a summer deluge, the first Campfire program at the new camp was held in the dining hall. The cost of the first summer camp was $14.00 per person.  

On Wednesday, June 12 during the first session of the summer camp, Scouts from Camp Contra Costa hiked to Camp Stevens (Alameda Council) near Strawberry Lake and Scouts from Camp Stephens hiked to Camp Contra Costa to spend the night.

Formal dedication of Camp Contra Costa took place on June 27, 1929 with over 300 guests in attendance.  The guests toured the new camp and the scouts provided lemonade to all the visitors. During the first summer, over 180 scouts attended summer camp during the four week camp.


In 1932, the “Tribe of the Tuolumne” honor camper society was formed at Camp Contra Costa.  In 1945, the Berkeley-Contra Costa Council stopped using the camp and the following summer, the Girl Scouts leased the camp for their summer camp operations.


In December of 1947, official action was taken to sell Camp Contra Costa to the Alameda Council of the Girl Scouts of America.  The Girl Scouts planned to use the site as their main summer camp.



Sea Scouts




Shooting Sport


Scouting for Food

Order of the Arrow

Skip to content